Bishop John Barres allegedly covered up priest pedophile scandal

New Diocese Head Implicated By Grand Jury

 

The Diocese of Rockville Centre hoped to further distance itself from the pedophile priest scandal that shook the very foundation of the Catholic Church when it hired Bishop John Barres to replace the retiring Bishop William Murphy.

Instead, fresh wounds have opened and the church is under the gun again with revelations that Barres, like Murphy, covered up pedophile crimes committed by priests and protected the accused.

Though Barres said Wednesday that a Grand Jury report issued in Allentown contained “factual errors” Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro countered that the report is factual.

Murphy was a central figure in the Boston church pedophile scandal – the story was told in The Spotlight, which won the Oscar for best Movie in 2016.

Newsday reported Murphy, as Cardinal Bernard Law’s top deputy in Boston for almost eight years, was involved in almost one-third of the priest sexual abuse cases at the heart of the scandal there. “Not only did Murphy supervise the assignment of priests, he was privy to all confidential records on accusers’ complaints, treatment and settlements. He also took care of accused priests’ legal bills and helped arrange housing and jobs for them,” Newsday continued.

Murphy arrived in Rockville Centre in 2001 and made waves by spending more than $5 million on renovations for St. Agnes Cathedral that included a palatial residence for himself – uprooting six Dominican sisters in the process.

Murphy was roundly criticized for being hesitant to confront the pedophile problem, weed out the guilty priests, and reach out to victims after he arrived in Rockville Centre. But in recent years, especially after the movie was released, the diocese has taken positive steps to put the scandal behind. Most notable was the formation of the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program, which allows victims to file for damages and draw from a pool of money contributed by the church. However, laymen conduct the interviews and distribute the funds with no input from the church.

The evaluation of the claims and any award of money will be made by Kenneth Feinberg (who oversaw the 911 compensation fund) and Camille Biros. According to the IRCP program rules, the diocese will not have a role in deciding the compensation decisions.

Barres on paper seemed the perfect choice to move the Diocese beyond the scandal-plagued years. Barres, 57 was born in Larchmont and educated at Princeton, NYU and Catholic University. He served in Allentown for almost 10 years.

But the bombshell report, issued last week, details extensive sexual abuse and cover-ups in Pennsylvania including, Allentown, during Barres’ tenure there. Although he was not accused of molesting any children, the grand jury report alleges he covered up the molestation of two boys, aged 12 and 13, by the same priest, Rev. Michael S. Lawrence.

Lawrence, according to the report, acknowledged he abused a 12 year-old boy in 1982 yet was allowed to continue working with children for more than two decades.

The report, based on an 18-month investigation, determined that more than 300 priests across Pennsylvania sexually abused at least 1,000 children over seven decades.

Barres recommended to the Vatican in 2014 that Lawrence remain in retired status and not be removed from the priesthood, despite a second allegation of sexually abusing a boy, according to the grand jury report. That meant the disgraced priest would remain under the church umbrella and be provided with a residence, meals, health care, and be given a monthly cash stipend for the rest of his life

Barres is contacting Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro to correct the errors, diocesan spokesman Sean Dolan told Newsday. H did not return an email from The Independent by press time.

rmurphy@indyeastend.com