The Suffolk County Correction Department officer accused by Southampton Town police of sexually abusing an adopted son was indicted by a grand jury last week on eight felony charges, according to online court records.
Among the charges Robert Weis, 55, is now facing is one accusing him of having sex with a child under the age of 11, another alleging that he had sexual intercourse on multiple occasions with a child under the age of 13, and two additional counts of sexual intercourse with a child under the age of 13. It is not clear if these charges involve only the original victim, upon whose allegations police arrested Weis April 4, or if detectives came across more victims during their investigation.
The first alleged victim is now an adult, and came forward recently, confiding in Southampton Town detectives.
The alleged crimes occurred over 15 years ago. There is no statute of limitations for the specific violent sex crimes Weis is accused of. In addition, Weis is charged with three felony counts of weapons possession, and one felony count of criminal possession of stolen property.
According to Southampton Town Police Chief Steven Skrynecki, police believe there are more of Weis’s victims out there. Over the years, he adopted five boys, all considered challenged youths, and acted as foster parent to many more. Chief Skrynecki asked for help from the public during a press conference last week. He said that anyone with information about Weis and his alleged illegal activities should call 631-702-2230, and speak to a detective. All calls, he said, would be held in confidence by police.
The prosecuting attorney, Laurie Moroff, of the District Attorney’s Child Abuse and Domestic Violence Bureau, said during Weis’s initial arraignment April 5 in Southampton Town Justice Court, that Weis had “sleepovers” for friends of his five adopted sons, during which he would abuse and fondle the other boys.
Weis has an open case brought in 2016 accusing him of sexual misconduct with a minor in Columbia, SC.
According to the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department, when the 2016 charge was brought against Weis, who worked in the county jail in Yaphank, he was required to turn in his handgun, and was reassigned to the quartermaster’s division. It was in that capacity that he allegedly stole numerous items from the county, including bulletproof vests and handcuffs, leading to the possession of stolen property charge.
The weapons charges are for three unregistered handguns police say they found when they raided Weis’s Sunset Street residence in Hampton Bays.
Another find particularly alarmed District Attorney Tim Sini, he said during last week’s press conference: police reported finding 36 long guns in the house, along with 50,000 rounds of ammunition.
Bail was set at $1 million cash or $3 million bond in Southampton April 5. Once the grand jury handed out its indictment April 11, however, that bail amount was taken off the table, and Weis was remanded. The indictment will be officially unsealed April 17 in the county courtroom of Justice Karen Wilutis in Central Islip, when a new bail determination will be made.
Weis, an Iraqi war veteran, has been locked up in an undisclosed facility, possibly on Rikers Island or even in Westchester County, since his arrest, for his own protection.
Two other men who were charged last week with sexually abusing children in unrelated cases, both in Springs, remained in custody as of April 15. Both men were said to be acquainted with their victims.
Bryan Ordonez-Albarracin, 23, is facing multiple charges of rape involving two girls. The most recent attack was on April 6, after which police were contacted. He is being held on $80,000 bail.
He was brought back to East Hampton Town Justice Court April 11, where he had been arraigned five days earlier. His attorney, John Kern, asked that the bail be lowered to $20,000. Assistant district attorney Rudy Migliore Jr. told Justice Steven Tekulsky that he “vehemently objected” to lowering the bail, citing the seriousness of the crimes Ordonez-Albarracin is facing, which include five felonies, and two misdemeanor counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
At the same time, Kern agreed to waive his client’s right to be released if not indicted, at least until May 5, the next court calendar date for Ordonez-Albarracin. Such a move is frequently made to allow the prosecution and the defense to negotiate, without the pressure of an indictment looming over them.
The attorney for Juan Bacuilima, 56, who is accused by East Hampton Town police of sexually touching a 10-year-old girl, also temporarily waived his client’s right to be released if not indicted. Matthew D’Amato of the Legal Aid Society asked that that waiver, which he entered April 8, remain in place until 2 PM on April 15. He was scheduled to be released if not indicted by April 16. He was being held on $50,000 bail.